Pretreatment systems can take many forms, depending on substrate, ink chemistry, and performance requirements. With the ever-increasing variety of substrates, pretreatment is becoming a standard part of every custom solution we build. (To read more about pretreatment options, download our free white paper on the subject.) . Read on for a brief description of the various types of pretreatment systems, from corona to flame.
The corona device is used for treating surfaces especially PP-PE plastics and similar surfaces.
- Corona pre-treatment can be installed on any conveyor of the pad print machine
- Conveyors and parts fixtures must be specially designed (Not suitable for metal parts or metal fixtures)
- High Voltage / Low Temperature electrical discharge is suitable for delicate materials, which may be damaged by flame pre-treatment.
- Generally preferred over flame systems for clean room installations
- Stand-alone units can be used with for automated part feeding.
This stand-alone unit is fully adjustable to accommodate small to medium sized parts. All flamers are equipped with an electronic ignition and UV flame safety sensor.
- The horizontal burner stroke is 10 inches.
- Controls can adjust flame intensity, fuel/air mixture, extend/retract speed of burner and height.
- The unit operates by placing the substrate either in a fixture or directly on the platform.
- The pretreatment cycle is activated by the standard foot pedal or by the printer.
The flame is ignited by a piezo ignition system and a pneumatic cylinder shuttles the burner over the part. The UV flame sensor prevents operation without the flame. Then the burner returns home and the flame is extinguished.
The pre-treatment conveyor flamer can be added to a standard single pass inkjet platform or purchased as a standalone system. Many substrates, including plastics require pre-treatment to provide a better bonding surface for ink adhesion.
This unit has the following features:
- Automatic product detection – this unit charts the product and will auto shut-off the flame when the operator/feeder stops feeding the conveyor, saving energy.
- Sensor detects if flame is ON or OFF as the product passes through the flaming unit.
- This modular system can be added to standard single pass inkjet platforms or purchased as a standalone system.
- Optional liquid cooled guidance rails for required applications.
- Adjustable conveyor speed for different materials and length of pre-treatment required.
- Small, compact footprint.
- OSHA compliant.
- Operates on natural gas or propane.
- Adjustment of flame power with a single control.
- Flow meters for air & gas provide precise control of process parameters.